Saturday, January 4, 2020

Who Am I Waiting For?

Photo Credit: Clint Fair

I turned the journal over in my hand. 11 years. I had been given this Wait For Me journal 11 years ago at Christmas. It was a journal that I was meant to write out special thoughts to give to my future husband. I had written so many letters to my future husband in that journal. I prayed and longed for the day when I could give it to the one my heart loved most. 
Yet as I held the journal in my hands, I realized something. For so many years I had been waiting for a guy to be the one. The one who would give me purpose. The one who would give me my dreams. The one who would walk with me no matter what. The one who would take care of me. If you had asked me 11 years ago I wouldn't have summed it up like this, but that was what I was wanting. I was wanting a man to take the place of God.
But God, who is rich in mercy, gave me something far better. He gave me Himself. He showed me the idols that vied for my heart and taught (and is teaching) to replace them with more of Himself. 
Now I know that there is only One who is worthy to wait for. There is only One who can fulfill all my dreams. There is only One that I can trust to always come through for me. There is only One who will take care of me for all eternity. He is so good to me. He is so gracious and faithful. Even when I fail, sin, and wander He keeps on loving me and drawing me back to Himself. He keeps rescuing me and forgiving me. He keeps caring for me. He keeps drawing me and loving me through all my stumbling towards Him.
We are all waiting for something. We are all waiting for what we think will bring us happiness and peace. Let us turn our eyes to Christ. He conquered our sin. He paid the bride price for us on the cross. He rose again and brought us new life. He lives and walks with us. It is only in Him that we find lasting happiness and fulfillment. Let us wait for Him. Let us seek Him. Let us trust in Him. He is the only One worthy of the wait.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Beginnings

Source I enjoy this time of year. I have a few things that I always try to work into the last week of the year. Things like deep...