Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Help! I'm Turning Green!

Source: Colorhex.com

I scrolled through Facebook and saw pictures of happy couples with a lovely ring prominently displayed and I started turning green. A friend was gushing to me about married life and how wonderful her new husband is and on the other end of the phone I started turning green. I text from a friend tells me that she's pregnant with her first and I started turning green.

I feel like I've reached that time in my life when most of my friends are getting married, are married, or having their first baby. And in early July I was really struggling with being envious of what they had and the joy that they are experiencing. I don't wish I had their life, but sometimes I want what they have. And it made me turn so green. 

Normally I look really good in green. But when it's the ugly neon green of envy, I look terrible. The problem with envy is that it makes you blind to the joy and the blessings that you have. You can't praise God for who He is and what He's done. It inhibits your ability to see the good that is there or could be there. It immobilizes you to do what God has given you to do.  

So how did I combat envy? It was hard, but a battle that was worth the fighting. When I began to feel green I tried to refocus on what God has given me. I started to think about all the blessings that He's placed in my life. And what He has done for me. That made a huge difference. The green receded. Next I would try to focus on what God has given me to do that day. Whether it was chores or work or sewing or whatever I would try to give it my full attention and focus on the things that God has given me to do that day. The green receded a little more. Next I would try to lift up my voice in praise to God for who He is and what He's done. The green receded more. 

There are still times that I turn so green that it gets ugly, but they are fewer. For that I praise God. 

The thing is, when I am contented in Him it frees me to be truly happy for others. I can rejoice with them when I have hope that Gods plan is still on track. I praise God for every time that He helps me to get rid of the green and rejoice. It many times isn't easy, but always worthwhile. 

So the next time that you are turning green, stop and turn your eyes back to Him. I garentee you, there is no better sight to feast your eyes on. He is the best and the greatest we could ever hope for. 

Oh my soul, remember the Lord your God. Remember all that He has done for you. Remember His kindness and loving care. Stay focused on Him. Enjoy the blessings He has given you. Do the work He has given you singing praises to His name. For the Lord is worthy always! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

New Beginnings

Source I enjoy this time of year. I have a few things that I always try to work into the last week of the year. Things like deep...