Friday, July 6, 2018

Guilt And The Gospel

I got frustrated the other day. I was getting caught up in the guilt again. I was crying over the sin I done. I was crying for what my past self did.

The Rose of early 2017 wasn't trusting God. Not really. She said she was, but deep down she was convinced that she knew best and wasn't going to let anyone stop her. She was forging her own way ahead to get the guy she wanted. And in doing so she made a lot of choices that hurt her and those around her.

But God didn't leave me there. He stepped in and gave me something I didn't deserve. Hard love. He lovingly stepped into the mess and demolished my plans. The engagement was broken.

As I was reeling in pain, He came to me. His scared hands reached out in comfort. With my plans gone and my pain overwhelming, I came back to Him. I repented. I begged Him to work in me again. Slowly ever so slowly, He began to draw me out of the pit I had dug. He changed my heart. He not only healed it, He remade my heart to be more like His.

 It was then that the Gospel became so clear to me. God loved me when I was unlovable. He loved me in the middle of the mess. His blood is enough! The cross is enough! His sacrifice covered over all my sins. They no longer have a hold on me. Not by anything I have done, but by His wounds I have been healed.

This is a glorious truth. I don't have to live in the guilt or shame. I get to live in His grace. I get to live singing about His mercy and love.

This is how you defeat guilt. You use truth. You are not what you once were. Through the grace of God you have been remade. By His righteous actions we have been made righteous. By His resurrection we have a new life.

This was the truth that changed me. Not just the other day, but any time I start to feel guilty. Now whenever I feel guilt for the past God reminds me of the gospels power. It has changed, is changing, and will continue to change me.

Today if you hear the voice of guilt or shame, defeat it with the truth of grace and live free. He is here with scars that prove His sacrifice was enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Beginnings

Source I enjoy this time of year. I have a few things that I always try to work into the last week of the year. Things like deep...